The participants are introduced in the topic by taking action in an activity, simulated to show the three dimensions that a company can compete against another one (quality – speed – cost).
To understand and take into consideration the “competition” factor for the business plan of a new enterprise.
Objectives (including the learning outcomes)
To make clear to the participants and make them “experience” the three ways enterprise can compete against one another.
Number of participants
Participants split in groups of 3-5 people
Needed materials (and links to other online material too)
- 3 glasses (for transport of the water)
- 3 bowls (to fill with water)
- 3 bottles (filled with water)
Detailed description of the activity (describing each stage and step of the activity and how they address the objectives)
- 1st stage – Trainers split the participants in teams of 3-5 people. (2′)
- 2nd stage – The three teams should fill their glass with water and carry the water to their own bowl on the opposite side of the room. The participants can carry the water in a way they want by using the glass. (8′)
- 3rd stage – When all teams finish carrying water from one bowl to another, trainers and participants start discussing.
Questions for the participants
Who is the winner?
Is the amount of water the same in the bowls?
Which team has the most of it?
Why do you think that happened?
Can you find a connection between quality and speed?In the end you put a lid(for example a plastic bag held with a rubber band) on top of the glass and ask one of the participants to run fast with the glass across the room.In this method, the amount of water in the bowl represents the quality, the amount of time used to move your water represents the speed, and the lid put on the glass in the end represents cost. It is generally said that you can only compete on 2 out of 3 of these factors. If you want good quality at low cost, it will take long time. If you want low cost and high speed, it will be of a lower quality. If you want high quality and a high speed, it will cost more.