The participants gets presented a story of an NGO creating a social business, where they only receive some of the details and need to discuss in groups to fill in the blanks.
Raise the awareness of the importance of a business plan.
Objectives (including the learning outcomes)
- Knowing the market – the participants will get to know why they should look at the current market.
- Knowing the competition – the participants will get to know why they should look up the current competition.
- Knowing the resources – the participants will get to know what kind of resources exists and why they should look up what they need and what they have.
Number of participants
Divided in groups of min. 3 and max. 5 participants per group
Needed materials (and links to other online material too)
- Powerpoint presentation and/or printed papers for the participants.
- Printed papers with the story and some information about the subject for the trainers.
Detailed description of the activity (describing each stage and step of the activity and how they address the objectives)
The trainers will divide the participants in groups that will stay the same during the entire activity, and then present a story about an NGO that wants to create a social business. This story should also be given to the groups in printed form.
The trainers have a printed document with questions that can be used as support to tell the participants if they get stuck during discussions, these documents are just for your support and not to be given to the participants.
After the story have been told, the trainers present a powerpoint slide with the topic ‘Market’, containing questions that the participants discuss in their groups. Give the participants 5 minutes to discuss the topic.
The trainers then present a powerpoint slide with the topic ‘Competition’, containing questions that the participants discuss in groups. Give the participants 5 minutes to discuss the topic.
The final powerpoint slide have the topic ‘Resources’, also containing questions that the participants discuss in groups. Give the participants 5 minutes to discuss the topic.
At the end of the activity you discuss with all the participants the reason for this activity. Hopefully they have understood the reason by now, which is the importance of making a good business plan where you make a proper research before you start your company.